What You Really Need to Know About iOS Location Tracking
If you own and use an iPhone, you might not realize that it’s probably keeping track of the places you go without you even realizing that it’s doing this.
Don’t worry, Apple isn’t spying on you. This is a feature that is built into iOS (iPhone Operating System) that runs the popular smartphone.
Most people use their iPhone’s GPS navigation feature when they want to get directions to a place that they’ve never been before. This means that they have a setting on their phone turned on called “Location Services”.
What you might not realize is that if someone else is able to unlock your phone, within a matter of a few seconds, that person can easily see where you’ve been with it.
What might worry some is that there isn’t any special app that needs to be installed on the phone to be able to do this. If this worries you, read on and I’ll show you how to disable this feature.
Here’s How to check iPhone Location History
Follow these simple steps to see how someone can quickly and easily see where you travel with you iPhone.
- Unlock your phone.
- Tap “Settings”.
- Tap “Privacy”.
- Tap “Location Services”.
- Scroll down and tap “System Services”.
- Scroll down and tap “Frequent Locations”.
- On this screen you simply have to look in the “History” section and you can browse through a list that shows the iOS location history for your device.
I’ve included a screenshot to show you what the iPhone Frequent Locations screen looks like on an iPhone that I borrowed while writing this article. This cell phone location tracker will be grouped by the names of the cities that you have recently traveled.
If you tap on one of the city names, it will show you a map with the approximate locations that the phone has been taken in that city. If the phone has been to that location more than once recently, you can tap on the result that represents each visit to see further information. When you do this, it will tell you how many times your iPhone has been to that address recently as well as what time you arrived and what time you left.
What if You Don’t Want Your iPhone Tracking Your Location?
This can be a pretty handy feature for parents but if you don’t want your iPhone tracking your location, you have a couple of options.
- The first option is if you simply want to delete your recent iPhone location history. All you have to do is follow the steps described above and on step 5 in the list above, just tap the link that says “Clear History”.
- The next option is used if you just don’t want your iPhone keeping track of where you go. Follow the steps described above and on step 5 turn off “Frequent Locations”. You’ll still be able to use location services on your phone for things like navigation but it won’t keep track of where you have traveled with your phone.
If you would like to learn more about iPhone tracking as well as other handy tips that you might find useful, I suggest that you check out some of my articles in my iPhone Tips category.